Tuesday 10 May 2016

21st April Exploring Paper Surfaces


On Thursday 21st of April, I continued to explore the technique of paper cutting through experimenting with different surfaces of card and paper. This was continued on the same development I used previously and I achieved a full A3 Sheet filled with a variety of paper surfaces in the studio practise time I was given. Also, I continued to use the same design pattern previously, which related back to my theme of the “structure of nature” and elements within the topic which are also built up in individual structures. The design was inspired by my primary research and it was developed further into my project which allowed me to create my own individual patterns and “structures of nature”. The task allowed me to continue to develop my paper craft skills and adapt them to new individual paper surfaces that I have never explored before. By exploring paper surfaces, it has allowed me to analyse each individual surface and identify which is piece is the most suitable to develop further for my project. Also, exploring paper surfaces it has inspired me to generate ideas for my final project and collect inspiration from my paper craft skills. Finally, the studio practise has allowed me to demonstrate the ability to plan, organise and develop ideas for my final project “Unit 8 Structures”. To start the task, I collected my development sheet board and my tracing paper which included my original design pattern for the paper surfaces. I continued to use the same measurements for the paper sizes which allowed them to be equal and I used the same pattern throughout the task in order to make the sheet fair and equal to analyse them overall. This would allowed me to analyse the surface, paper patterns individually but overall as a whole development sheet.

Firstly, I decided to explore the material “wallpaper” which included a nature theme pattern on the surface of the design. A problem I faced when transferring my design was that the wallpaper wasn’t effective and didn’t show the pattern on the surface effectively. To solve the problem, I continue to transfer the design continually until it revealed a light pencil outline on the surface. When I started to work into the surface with my craft knife I found it difficult to reach the small details within the pattern which caused damage to the overall outcome. The final outcome wasn’t effective as my craft knife couldn’t create a neat finish which led to rough design outline. However, the wallpaper design did create large paper-cutting pieces which presented part of my original design. Next, I explored homemade paper which is made up of recycled paper that has been joined together through water. I was curious to explore this material as it has an uneven texture which is made up of a variety of paper surfaces. Transferring my design onto the surface was very effective but cutting out my pattern was difficult to create. A problem I faced when cutting out my design was that large pieces of the homemade paper were falling apart whilst I was working into it which damaged the overall design. Also, another problem I faced with homemade paper was that I couldn’t create straight, clean outlines which made the outcome look uneven and rough within the texture of the paper. Finally, another problem I faced was that I couldn’t achieve the small details within my design which changed the overall appearance.

Finally for my development sheet, I explored fabric card that was a soft material which I have used previously in my project. From my previous knowledge, I found cutting shapes from the card difficult to create as it is a strong material. However, I wanted to continue to develop my skills and I transferred my design onto the surface. Whilst I was cutting into the surface I noticed that I had to repeat my craft knife cutting 3 times in order for the piece to be removed from the design. This allowed me to cut out the design accurately but it sadly left a rough finish around the edges of my work. Overall, I found it difficult working with this piece as the process took longer which wouldn't be suitable for my final piece and time management for my project. Next I placed all of my paper surfaces onto the sheet and I decided to decorate the background because I found the appearance simple. To relate it back to my board, I placed recycled pieces together to create a collage on my sheet which made the overall piece more engaging and eye-catching. For my annotation I am going to be writing on the sheet but also on paper tags that have been placed onto design which looked effective and related back to my board.



 The most effective paper surface that I am going to develop for my final piece is the material card. I have decided to use this material because it allows me to cut safely and neatly into the surface which makes the overall outcome look neat around the edges of my design. Also, I have chosen this material because I could include small intricate designs that would be cut effectively and create an engaging structure. Card also comes in a variety of colours which will be suitable when I am developing further into my project. I found parcel paper also effective for cutting and creating neat pieces. However, it only comes in one colour which wouldn't be effective for my final project as I am wanting to create an engaging final piece which will present all of my skills I have learnt from the process. Finally, I have decided to use card as I felt most confident with this material and I believe that I can develop it further into my project to create and effective final piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment