Monday 2 May 2016

Creating Paper


For my project “Unit 8 Structures”, I decided to create homemade paper which is a process that uses recycled pieces of paper to create new surfaces that can be drawn and cut through within the surface. The process allows me to explore a variety of different papers and surfaces which is useful for my project as I will be using the material for my final piece. By creating paper, it allows me to identify which surface is most effective to work into and can be taken further and developed through my project.  Also, by creating paper, it also allows me to identify visually which pieces are most suitable through surface and colour for my development of my final project. By completing this task, it has allowed me to interpret research activity to develop ideas and creative proposals. Finally, by completing this task, it has allowed me to demonstrate the ability to plan, organise and develop ideas for my project through exploring the process of paper-making and identifying what elements would be suitable for my project.
Firstly, I collected a variety of different paper surfaces and placed them into a shredder individually, to break down the elements of the material. When using the shredder, I have followed health and safety instructions throughout the process. Firstly, I tied my hair up to avoid the risk of it getting caught in the machine. Also, I removed any pieces of metal, such as paper clips, to avoid the machine being damaged when placing paper through it. All these instructions were followed throughout the task. Once the paper went through the machine, I placed the materials into a bucket of warm water and left it to soak overnight which allowed the pieces to soften. After I left the materials to soak overnight, I collected the equipment that I needed to create my paper. The equipment included a sponge, sieve and cloth. Firstly, I broke the pieces of paper further down in my bucket which allowed the water to soak further into the material. Next, I collected my sieve and collected the material within the bucket into the piece of equipment. I found completing this task challenging as I couldn’t collect enough material to create paper. However, I overcame this problem and developed my confidence with the process when I repeated the technique for different paper surfaces. After collecting the paper, I used a sponge to remove excess water within the sieve that was combing the material together to create paper. Next, I placed my piece of paper onto a cloth and continued to remove excess water within the material which would allow the piece to dry quicker but also make it more effective. Finally, I placed several pieces of cloth onto the homemade paper to allow the piece to dry naturally but also quickly. This process was repeated to experiment with different paper surfaces and textures for my project. As I completed a variety of different paper surfaces, it has allowed me to develop my confidence with using this technique and the equipment I have used.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment