Friday 27 May 2016

17th May Creating The Foreground Section For My Final Piece


On Tuesday 17th of May, I continued to complete my final project piece for “Unit 8 Structures”. In the studio practise I decided to create my foreground element for my “structure of nature” scene as I believe that it will help me to build up the piece up more accurately with measurements and placing the design within my shelf structure. Also, I decided to create my foreground piece as it will allow me to work large scale and create more intricate details which will take more time but also be completed in the studio practise day. Finally, I decided to create my foreground piece as I believe that I gained confidence previously from my large background piece to create my detailed foreground piece. The task allowed me to develop and adapt my skills I have used previously when creating my final piece to create another element for my final design. Also, the task allowed me to transcribe my final idea from Marquette, sheet work and sketchbook work to create my piece. By continuing to complete my project piece, it has allowed me to demonstrate the ability to plan, organise and develop my ideas for my final outcome. Finally, by continuing to complete my final piece it has allowed me to apply practical skills and theoretical knowledge and understanding to my final project.
To start the task, I decided to complete my last specific details for my background piece as it would be ready to be placed onto the shelf within its accurate measurements. The specific details on the background included patterns within the path and tree trunks. I found completing this task challenging as I have been cutting into large pieces within the piece and haven’t focused on small intricate details. However, I overcame this problem and gained the confidence to create these small elements and complete my final background piece. The outcome of the design is very intricate and delicate to hold so I will take this knowledge further into my project when I am placing all of my elements together carefully. After completing the piece, I focused on creating my foreground piece which is a tree trunk and woodpecker. When measuring the piece out, I decided to create my wood pecker separately which is different to my marquette because I wanted to make the bird more accurate and present my paper craft skills further. I wanted to present my paper craft skills further through etching onto the surface of the bird and placing all the colours that represent the woodpecker. To create my tree trunk, I measured my piece 15cmx60cm because my overall background height measured at 60cm. I decided to create my length at 15cm because I believe that it is a large piece to create my surface but also continue to show elements of my background. After safely cutting the measurements out, I started to create my design surface pattern. A problem I faced when creating the pattern was that pencil didn’t show up on the surface colour “mocha”. To solve the problem I used a white pencil to draw out my design onto the surface which made the lines easier to identify when cutting the layout out. When drawing my layout, I was inspired by tree surfaces from my primary and secondary research and development I have collected throughout my project. I found creating the layout challenging as I had to consider the proportion and scale for my work as it was a foreground piece of my design layout. However, I overcame this problem and created an accurate layout for my final piece. When cutting the layout of my piece I followed health and safety instructions throughout the task. I used a cutting mat and metal ruler to avoid damaging surfaces and avoiding the risk of injury to my hand. Also, when cutting out my design with a craft knife, I placed my hand away from the blade to avoid the risk of injuries. These instructions were maintained throughout the task. A problem I faced when cutting out my design was that the piece included intricate pieces that were damaged easily with my craft knife. However, I overcame the problem and used glue to repair my broken pieces and combine them together to create my original design layout. The final outcome is presented below.



Next I am going to complete another tree trunk element for my final piece that will be placed on the second layout of my shelf scene. Also, I will be creating woodland animals that are included within my design.

No comments:

Post a Comment