Friday 27 May 2016

Creating My Shelf


To create my shelf for my final project piece, I decided to measure out my final idea which has been developed from my original maquette structure. For the length I decided to keep it as 60cm because I believe its suitable size for my final piece and I can include a variety of intricate details throughout the piece. Also, I have decided to keep the same height because I think that the size is large enough for the piece to work effectively but also create intricate details for each individual layer. For the sections of my shelf I decided to change my original 3 different layers which included a background to 5 layers with a background. I decided to change my original maquette layout because I believe that it wasn’t effective and I felt that it didn’t achieve the effect I was wanting to create with the build-up of my work. Also, I decided to change my layout because I wanted to include more elements within the design such as trees to make my final piece more effective. Finally, I decided to include more layers because I wanted to emphasise each individual elements I will create for my final piece and present the suspended layout technique. For the distance between the layers, I decided to keep it the same measurement as I believe it creates the suspension effect I am wanting to achieve and identifies each element within the piece. The distance between each section is 15cm and this is repeated through the layers.

Once the shelf was created, I decided to sand the piece down as the material had an uneven surface. Throughout the task I followed health and safety instructions in order to avoid the risk of injury. I used sand paper to smooth the surface down because there was a risk of injury when handling the piece. After sanding the piece down, I decided to paint the shelf the colour white as it would match my studio space and exhibition. This colour was chosen to camouflage the piece into the background and also to emphasise my final piece. Also, this colour was chosen because I wanted to create the suspension effect and emphasise the overall layout of my final piece. Once the piece was painted, It was ready to be placed in my exhibition space to suspend my work.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment