Monday 2 May 2016

19th April Exploring Paper Surfaces


On Tuesday 19th of April, I started to explore a variety of paper surfaces and card through the technique of paper cutting. This was explored through a development sheet where I experimented with 6 different types of paper and card which had the same design layout on each surface. The task allowed me to adapt my paper craft skills and techniques to each individual surface. Also, the task allowed me to experiment with different surfaces and identify which material is the most suitable for paper cutting that will be developed further into my project. By exploring a variety of materials it has allowed me to analyse which surface would be most effective for what I am wanting to achieve for my final project piece. The task has allowed me combine both of my elements for my project through creating a detailed layout that has been inspired by the “Structure Of Nature”. Finally, the task has allowed me to develop my skills with using a new craft knife tool and gain confidence with cutting small details within my design layout. By exploring a variety of paper materials, it has allowed me to interpret research activities to develop ideas. Also, it has allowed me to demonstrate the ability to plan, organise and develop ideas for “Unit 8 Structures”.

For my layout, I created an A2 board and placed a watercolour wash on the surface of my sheet which made it colourful and engaging. I decided to use watercolours as they create a light surface which would continue to emphasise the paper materials on the sheet but also make it colourful. For my design, I wanted a detailed layout which related to my other element of structure that is “nature”. I decided to make my design detailed as it would test each individual surface better and it would allow me to develop my paper-cutting skills further. For my design I gained inspiration from a specific plant photograph that I took for my primary research. After creating my design, I collected the paper materials and used tracing paper to copy my design onto each individual surface. I decided to use the same design layout to present which material is the most effective on the paper surfaces.

Firstly, I decided to experiment with the material parcel paper which has a delicate surface. I was curious to explore with this material as I have never previously explored this paper surface for paper-cutting. The surface worked really well as I could achieve small details within the design without damaging the overall piece. However, I did noticed that the paper ripped very easily which was difficult to use when cutting the design surface out. Once I created this piece, I focused with using the material card. I have previous experience with using card, so I felt confident when working into the material and design layout. I believe that card is one of the most effective materials for paper-cutting as you can cut into the surface easily but continues to be strong which avoids damaging different elements within the overall piece. The overall outcome of the design was effective as I could achieve small details with a neat finish to my outline. Finally, I experimented with the material corrugated card which I have never previously used for paper-cutting before. I didn’t feel confident with using this material because it has an uneven surface which I believed would affect the overall outcome of my design. Corrugated card wasn’t effective for paper-cutting as I couldn’t achieve small details of the design which lead to the overall design looking different from my original idea. Also, the material wasn’t effective as it damaged very easily when using the craft knife which lead to the overall outline looking uneven and untidy.



 

Next, I am going to complete my development sheet for paper surfaces and continue to explore and experiment with different materials which include wallpaper, homemade paper and fabric card.

No comments:

Post a Comment