Tuesday 10 May 2016

Creating 3D Paper


I decided to experiment paper in further detail by exploring how it can be moulded and shaped to create 3D pieces. This technique uses the same process as creating paper but also includes placing the pieces around objects to create 3D paper models. I have previous knowledge and techniques from creating 3D paper in past projects which made me excited to develop my skills further for “Unit 8 Structures”. I have decided to explore creating 3D paper as it could be an element that I can explore further into my project and design ideas for my final piece. Also, I have decided to explore creating 3D paper as I wanted to demonstrate how the material can be used to creative effective models and pieces. Finally, I have decided to explore this technique as it relates back to the theme I am exploring for “Unit 8” which is “Paper Structures”. The task allowed me to develop my previous knowledge of the techniques I have learnt and develop them into my project. Also, the task has allowed me to continue to explore and experiment with paper surfaces and also develop them in order to relate to my project. By completing this task, it has allowed me to demonstrate the ability to plan, organise and develop ideas for my project through exploring the process of 3D paper making.























To start the task, I placed shredded the material newspaper and left it to soak overnight in water. I have decided to use the material “newspaper” to create my 3D paper as I believe that is a strong material which is suitable to create moulded pieces. Also, I have decided to use this material as I have previous knowledge of newspaper being used within Paper Mache to create 3D pieces which relates back to my original process I am wanting to complete. To collect the material from the bucket, I used a sieve to combine all the pieces together to create paper. Next, I used a sponge to remove excess water within the material which would be ready to be placed onto my mould. I decided to use balloons for my object to create mould as I have previous experience with using this method and I believe that it had an effective outcome. Also, I have decided to use balloons as they have an even surface which allowed me to place the materials together easily to create one piece. Once, I removed the excess water I started to place my material onto the balloon.  A problem I faced when placing the paper was that the balloon could move very easily which caused pieces to fall off the shape. However, to solve the problem I placed the balloons onto a stand to avoid the objects moving when paper is placed onto them. I repeated the paper making process several times in order to create a mould around the balloon shape. Another problem I faced was that I didn’t have enough material to cover the whole object. To improve next time, I will collect further newspaper pieces and place them into water. After creating the 3D mould I allowed the object to dry naturally which took a day to create. Once the piece was dry, I removed the balloon to reveal the 3D mould that was placed around the shape. Overall, I believe that it wasn’t effective as it was small samples which made the overall appearance look not 3D. However, the pieces did demonstrate some 3D effect as the paper moulds has a small curve which created a bowl shape outcome. To improve the task next time, I will create more paper to be placed onto my object which will create an effective outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment